The Compliance Office is required to maintain written records of all student-athlete employment activities in order to ensure continued compliance with NCAA regulations.
Student-athlete employment is contingent on approval from the student-athlete's head coach and his/her academic counselor, as well as that of the Compliance Office. Once a student-athlete has received permission to work from the proper institutional authorities (Form A: Student-Athlete Employment Approval), an employer must do the following:
- PRIOR to beginning employment, complete and submit Form B: Employer Agreement. A student-athlete may not begin working until this form is submitted to the Compliance Office.
- At the conclusion of the student-athlete's employment period, complete and submit Form C: Employment Verification along with the student's payroll documentation and time sheets
Athletics Department staff members are permitted to arrange employment for prospective student-athletes during the summer prior to their enrollment as freshman at LSU. Staff members are also permitted to arrange employment for currently enrolled student-athletes. However, all employment arrangements must be pre-approved by the Compliance Office.
Employers must remember the following NCAA rules when employing an LSU student-athlete:
- The student-athlete may not be hired based on his or her athletics ability;
- The student-athlete may be compensated only for work actually performed at a rate commensurate with the going rate in that locality for similar services;
- The student-athlete's name, picture or likeness may not be used to advertise, recommend or promote sales or use of a commercial product or service of any kind; and
- Transportation to work or any other benefits (e.g., meals) for student-athletes may not be provided unless the benefit is provided for all other employees.
Any and all updates to a student-athlete's employment status should be reported to the Compliance Office immediately.