When it comes to coaching staff members providing transportation to individuals, the NCAA has several rules in place. In recent years, the NCAA has become relaxed with transportation provided to current student-athletes (can basically be transported at institution's discretion), but this is not the case for prospects who are visiting campus. Here is a sample of the rules in which coaches are expected to follow when providing transportation to prospects who visit LSU.
Transportation prior to Official (Paid) Visit:
- Any athletics department staff member may provide ground transportation to a prospect and the prospect's parents/legal guardians between campus and any bus or train station or airport.
- If prospect and the prospect's parents/legal guardians are being picked up at the Baton Rouge Airport or any bus station in Baton Rouge on the day of the actual visit, than the 48-hour official visit does not start until the prospect and his or her parents/legal guardians reach campus without delay for personal reasons or entertainment purposes.
- If prospect and the prospect's parents/legal guardians are being picked up at another airport or bus station in Louisiana (or elsewhere), the 48-hour official visit begins with the initiation of ground transportation by a member of the athletics department staff.
- If coaching staff member desires to accompany a prospect and his or her parents/legal guardians to campus (via automobile only), than the 48-hour official visit period begins when the coaching staff member starts transporting the prospect and his or her parents/legal guardians to campus.
- If prospect and his or her parents/legal guardians arrive in Baton Rouge too late to begin the official visit that day (e.g., fly into Baton Rouge on Thursday evening for a Friday through Sunday official visit), it is permissible for a athletics department staff member to pick them up at the Baton Rouge Airport or any bus station in Baton Rouge and take them to the hotel without beginning the 48-hour official visit period.
To learn more about when the 48-hour official visit period shall start in relation to ground transportation, click here
Transportation during Official (Paid) Visit:
- During an official visit, a coaching staff member is permitted to transport a prospect and the prospect's parents/legal guardians no more than 30-miles away from the LSU campus to view practice/competition sites and for entertainment purposes.
- While providing transportation around campus coaching staff members shall only use personal vehicles or institutional vehicles that are normally used to transport prospective students.
Transportation during Unofficial (Unpaid) Visit:
- During an unofficial recruiting visit, an LSU staff member may provide the prospect transportation to view practice and competition sites in the prospect's sport and other institutional facilities and to attend a home athletics contest at any local facility. An institutional staff member must accompany the prospect during such a trip. Payment of any other transportation expenses shall be a NCAA violation.
- Coaching staff members shall only provide those persons accompanying the prospect on an unofficial visit with transportation to view off-campus practice and competition sites in the prospect's sport and other institutional facilities.