Per NCAA rules and regulations, an institution is permitted to provide the following meal benefits to student-athletes:
(a) Training Table Meal- an institution is allowed to provide one training table meal per day to a student-athlete during the academic year on days in which the regular institutional dining facilities are open. A student-athlete who does not receive institutionally athletically related financial aid covering the full cost of board, including a walk-on or partial scholarship recipient, may purchase one training table meal per day at the same rate the institution deducts from board allowance for a student-athlete.
(b) Meals in Conjunction with Home Competition- all student-athletes are permitted to receive meals at the institution's discretion beginning the evening before competition and continuing until the student-athletes are released by institutional personnel. An institution shall not provide cash to student-athletes in lieu of meals during this time period. An institution, at its discretion, may provide a meal or cash (not to exceed $15), but not both, to student-athletes at the time of their release by institutional personnel.
(c) Meals in Conjunction with Away-from-Home Competition- an institution may provide meals to student-athletes in conjunction with away-from-home competition pursuant to one of the following options:
1. All student-athletes are permitted to receive a pregame and postgame meal as a benefit incidental to participation in addition to regular meals (or meal allowances per institutional policy). An institution, at its discretion, may provide cash, not to exceed $15 in lieu of a postgame meal; or
2. All student-athletes are permitted to receive meals at the institution's discretion from the time the team is required to report on call for team travel until the team returns to campus. An institution shall not provide cash to student-athletes in lieu of meals under this option before their release. An institution may provide a meal or cash (not to exceed $15), but not both, to a student-athlete at the time of his or her release by the institutional authority, regardless of whether he or she uses team travel to return to campus.
(d) Vacation Period Expenses- an institution is permitted to provide the cost of board to student-athletes (during official institutional vacation periods) in the following circumstances. If an institution does not provide a meal to its student-athletes under such circumstances, a cash allowance may be provided (except for permissible additional meal), not to exceed the amount provided by the institution to institutional staff members on away-from-campus trips:
1. Student-athletes who are required to remain on the institution's campus for organized practice sessions or competition during the institution's official vacation period. If a student-athlete lives at home during the vacation period, the cost of board shall not be provided by the institution, other than to permit the student-athlete to participate in team meals incidental to practice sessions;
2. Student-athletes who return to campus during the institution's official vacation period occurring during a regular academic term (not including vacation periods between terms) from institutional competition.
3. Student-athletes who return to campus during the institution's official vacation period between regular academic terms (e.g., summer-vacation period) from institutional competition that occurs at the end of the institution's playing and practice season or a segment thereof.
4. An institution, may provide an additional meal (as opposed to cash equivalent) to student-athletes to meet nutritional needs as a benefit incidental to participation during each day of any vacation period, provided the student-athlete is required to remain on-campus to be involved in practice or competition.
(e) Nutritional Supplements- please see under nutritional supplements tab to learn what type of supplements an institution is able to provide to student-athletes.
(f) Fruit, Nuts and Bagels- an institution may provide fruit, nuts and bagels to a student-athlete at any time.